Sunday 4 November 2012

The asset called employee

There are too many countries in the world that would envy the infrastructure Oman has and is about to have.  But what about the people the soft power of a country so to speak? The hardware which is pretty much there worth only as much as the software that runs on it.  Obviously it can always be running on imported apps and home made programs but better to have a well established own operating system, an open code that is ready to continuously improve and learn from outside inputs.

I have worked in organizations which had as only assets the people at their desks. They did not own the desks though, nor the buildings  or computers, no cars either. Everything was leased. So they had to make sure talent is retained and accounted for as well utilized asset. One can imagine that in these environment there is a lot of effort put in continuous development, retention, personal and carrier development programs, performance management etc. Much like the maintenance work in a factory or in a computer park. I also worked in organizations that lack all of this. Totally. The only thing they had is some sort of rationality regarding the employer-employee relationship, stemmed mainly from a master and servant customary setup. This came though with some degree of fairness but totally random and limited in capacity. Much like a family business with lots of personal involvement, emotion and all. Needless to say both have advantages and disadvantages and both have their own role in an economy.  Problem is when one or the other is missing.

I don't think there is anything new in saying that is key to the sustainability of the Omani economy to  have the institutional practices of being able to continuously maintain, refresh, and at times to rewrite the software. And I am not referring to a checklist to include in quarterly reports to the board, but more to a culture, a belief that my employee is my value, the better he does the better I do. So I better be spending time and effort in making sure he/she is at its best.

Not being an HR professional I can just write from my own experience of working under both styles and leading a team under the former. So I have decided to share some of the low hanging fruits that I think are easy to implement, cheep and have almost an immediate impact with regards to employee satisfaction, commitment and performance. And I hope you'll find them applicable to Oman. So maybe you'll find something of use if you are leading and/or managing (there are two very different things) people in Oman. Stay tuned.



7 comments:

  1. "There are few countries in the world that would not envy the infrastructure Oman has and is about to have."

    Seriously?! You actually put that in print! Laughable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, if you check the Global Competitiveness Reports 2012 in terms of infra Oman currently ranks 33rd (from 144), I see this as a strong position expected to quickly improve with many major projects on their way (airports, ports and hundreds of kms of high speed carriageways).
      But I take your comment as constructive and will amend my wording to "There are too many countries that would envy the infrastructure Oman has and about to have." Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I have to agree with Anonymous 1 - and I think you are stretching the scope of your argument with roads and airports as a blanket term for infrastructure.

    Even good old Wikipedia quotes infrastructure as "I...[the] basic physical and organizational structures needed for the operation of a society or enterprise, or the services and facilities necessary for an economy to function.

    From what I can see, while roads, airports and hotels are going to help with infrastructure, the seemingly endemic laziness and apathy of locals will be the infrastructure's undoing.
    Or is Oman planning on continuing to prop up its majority idle, benefit-seeking and educationally delusional youth, by providing further mid-level employment for Indian expatriates who are quite literally buying and selling the place at the moment?

    I'm not hear to rain on your parade, Omanly, so while I understand the evidence you quoted from the "trains, planes and automobiles report for gullible investors", I won't be needing an English lesson in paraphrasing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm not hear to rain on your parade, Omanly, so while I understand the evidence you quoted from the "trains, planes and automobiles report for gullible investors", I won't be needing an English lesson in paraphrasing."

    But I did just notice that my spell-checker is doing its best to undermine my lack of need for said lessons :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. "From what I can see, while roads, airports and hotels are going to help with infrastructure, the seemingly endemic laziness and apathy of locals will be the infrastructure's undoing. " I take this as a point that supports the generic idea of the post.

    With all respect to your smooth language I will just thank you for the rest and not write home about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Add a "follow this blog" on your sidebar please, through the layout settings. I don't tweet;).

    ReplyDelete